Some people may only have heard of him after he was declared as the running mate of former vice president, Atiku Abubakar under the platform of PDP. But he has been in the political scene for a really long time and has quite an impressive portfolio. Comparing his political journey to that of Lai Mohammed and Fela Durotoye, it is easy to tell that he is quite an achiever.
Peter Obi was born in the city of Onitsha on the 19th of July 1961 to Mr. and Mrs. Obi in Anambra state. He attended Christ the King college in Onitsha, his hometown. He completed his secondary school and also obtained his secondary school certificate at the school. Then, he went to attend the University of Nnsuka to study philosophy in 1980. Later, he graduated with B.A (Hons) in philosophy in 1984. Most people would have stopped there, but Peter Obi was not like most people. Therefore, he went on to attend the following institution
- Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Program)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A (Mid to Mid Marketing)
- Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A (Changing the Game)
- London School of Economics (Financial Mgt/Business Policy)
- Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A (Marketing Mgt)
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Senior Executive Program)
- Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Break-Through Program for CEOs)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Program)
- Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgt Program)
- Oxford University: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgt& Leadership Program)
- Cambridge University: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Program)
Peter Obi began his career as a businessman, and he was a very successful one at that. In fact, he is among the wealthiest businessmen in the southeast. He is the Chairman of Next International Nigeria Ltd, Chairman, and Director of Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd, Guardian Express Bank Plc, Paymaster Nigeria Ltd, Future View Securities Ltd, Data Corp Ltd, Chams Nigeria Ltd and Card Center Ltd. Also, he became the youngest chairman of Fidelity Bank Plc. Then, he was appointed by former president Goodluck Jonathan in 2015 as Chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Read Also: Aliko Dangote: Biography and net worth
Peter Obi big break in politics came in 2003 when he contested in the governorship election in Anambra state. He was under the platform of All Progressive Grand Alliance Party (APGA) and was running against Chris Ngige of PDP. The PDP candidate, Chis Ngige was declared as the winner of the election. However, Peter Obi was never going to have it. He took the matter to the court and later won the case after three years. Hence, he was sworn in as the governor of Anambra state on 17th of March 2006.
Obi was later impeached just after spending 7 months in office. As a result, he handed over to his deputy, Virginia Etiaba, who became the first female governor in Nigeria. He was later reinstated on the 9th of February 2007. Next, he contested in the May 2007 elections which he lost to Andy Uba. Peter Obi challenged the result but the Supreme Court upheld the result and Andy Uba was sworn in. finally, he secured his second term in 2014 where he defeated Charles Soludo in the March 2014 elections. He is now a member of PDP where he will be contesting as the vice president in the 2019 elections.
Peter Obi is believed to be worth up to 10 million dollars.
light sleeper, heavy dreamer.