The Nigerian anthem is one of the most popular melodies in the country and the lyrics are popular. that being said do you know the actual lyrics. Arise, O Compatriots” is the national anthem of Nigeria. It was adopted in the late 1970s and is the country’s second-ever national anthem.
Read Also: Public holidays in Nigeria (2019)
It was adopted in 1978 and replaced the previous national anthem, “Nigeria, We Hail Thee”. The lyrics are a combination of words and phrases taken from five of the best entries in a national contest. The words were put to music by the Nigerian Police Band under the directorship of Benedict E. Odiase. Though it has two verses, usually the first is only sung on most occasions.
- Arise, O compatriots
- Nigeria’s call obey
- to serve our fatherland
- with love and strength and faith.
- The labour of our heroes past
- shall never be in vain,
- to serve with heart and might
- one nation bound in freedom
- Peace and unity.
- O God of creation,
- direct our noble cause
- Guide our leaders right
- Help our youth the truth to know
- In love and honesty to grow
- And living just and true
- Great lofty heights attain
- To build a nation where peace
- And justice shall reign
light sleeper, heavy dreamer.