Fish farming is an act of rearing fish for commercial purpose. One of the most popular agribusiness in Nigeria is fish farming and for good reasons. And the demand of catfish is increasing continuously. Among all the fish species, catfish farming has a great demand in Nigeria.
The fish farming system is the system in which fishes are reared for sale or for consumption. In other words, fish farming entails breeding of different varieties of fishes such as Catfish, Tilapia and Mackerel (Tilapia) etc.
Types Of Fish Farming
1. Catfish Farming:
Catfishes are the most common fishery products used in African meals at various households, restaurants, events, hotels, and a lot more. Their ease of cultivation and demand makes most aquaculture farmers to focus on growing catfishes instead of other breeds.
Read Also: Banana Farming in Nigeria: How To Start
2. Tilapia Farming:
This aquaculture business is run with fresh water fishes inhabiting shallow streams, ponds, rivers, and lakes. These Tilapias are the second most popular fishes used in Nigerian meals. The fact that these fishes grow rapidly and tolerate high stocking densities and poor water quality, makes them a lucrative breed for fish farmers to grow.
3. Salmon (Mackerel) Farming:
Salmons are fresh water fishes that usually migrate to the ocean, and return to fresh waters to reproduce. While they are generally harvested in the wild, they are also grown in fish farms. They’re mostly know as “Titus” in Nigeria, and are purchased by millions of households on a daily basis.
What You Need To Get Started In Fish Farming
1. Get trained
Training here, doesn’t mean the kind of training you get from one-day seminars. In other to run the farm effectively, you need to get attached to a fish farm for proper apprenticeship.
2. Secure Land
Any location is good since fish doesn’t cause any environmental disturbance. Look for land where you can get it cheap and buy. Depending on the capacity you wants to operate on, half plot of land is just good enough for average fish farm.
However, you may go for something bigger like full plot or two if you can afford it probably for convenience sake. If you already have a compound with leftover space you thing can accommodate two or three ponds, you may use it.
3. Pond Planning, Size, Design, Construction, And Consideration:
You need to determine the type of pond that you need constructed. For a levee-type pond, a flat area that has access to a well could be used. But for a watershed pond, steeper areas near a natural source of water are to be used.
It’s usually best to contact the services of an aquaculture consultant. They’d get your full requirements, examine your goals, determine what you truly need, and ensure the construction work and general requirements of the fish ponds are properly met.
4. Stocking the pond:
Get fingerlings or fries to stock the pond. The fingerlings should not be poured into the pond, rather the container should be placed gently into the water and the fingerlings allowed to swim into the water themselves.
5. Choose The Right Fish Feeds:
Plants are able to utilize sunlight and simple nutrients to produce new organic material through photosynthesis. Animal (i.e. fish) cannot do this. That’s why animals need to feed on organic materials such as plants, other animals, or prepared food that contains plants or/and animals.
When feeding our children (sorry, fish. Lol) both quality and quantity has to be taken care of. Feed them well and with quality fish feed. There are three means of food for your fish.
- Natural fish feed. This is found naturally in the pond. This include; detritus, bacteria, plankton, worms, insects, snails, aquatic plants and fish (yes, fish eat fish if they`re hungry).
- Supplementary fish feed. This usually include cheap materials locally available such as terrestrial plants, kitchen wastes or agricultural by-products. Supplementary feed may be good, but they are not for serious fish farmer (except if he includes the other types of feeds). Many people who are into fish farming in Nigeria are using supplementary feeds. some to their profit, others to their loss.
- Complete feed. This is a carefully made fish feed. They`re usually of good ingredient and nutrients, made by the experts who understand the perfect formula for the fish at a different stage.