Learning how to produce detergent in Nigeria is an invaluable skill that will always come in handy. Everyone wears clothes and everyone loves clean clothes. This makes the cleaning business very big, and it all comes down to detergents and soaps.
How To Produce Detergent in Nigeria
There are two forms of detergents:
- Powdered detergents and
- Liquid detergents
Both types of detergents make use of the same chemicals, but the difference lies in the fact that one is oil-based while the other is water-based.
Chemicals Required For Detergent Production
The following are the chemicals you would need for making powdered detergents and their purposes.
- Caustic soda
- Light soda ash
- Palm kernel oil
- Sodium sulfate
- Hydrogen peroxide – acts as a catalyst in facilitating the rate of the reaction; transforming them to powder.
- Ammonia solution – aids the hydrogen peroxide in transforming the chemicals to powder
- Sulphonic acid – acts as a forming agent. Also acts as an anti-aging agent for the skin.
- Put the caustic soda into one of the fermenting tanks. Add four liters of water. Stir thoroughly; cover tightly and leave to ferment for 48 hours. The concentration should be kept at 1, 275.
- Put the light soda ash, kaolin and sodium sulfate into the fermenting tank and add 2.8 liters of water. Stir thoroughly, cover tightly and keep aside for 24 hours to allow for fermentation. The concentration should be 1, 200.
- After 48 hours, set up the heating system and pour in the palm kernel oil. You could also use groundnut or vegetable oil. Add colorant and allow to heat. Make sure you heat properly and then allow it to cool.
- Set up the mixer and gradually pour in the fermented caustic soda.
- Gradually add the fermented light soda ash as mixing continues
- Add the sulphonic acid gradually as the mixing continues
- Also, add the hydrogen peroxide and ammonia solution as you continue to mix
- Add perfume and mix continuously for about 5 minutes. Allow about 5 hours for the mixture to set.
- After setting, transfer the mixture to the drier and allow to get dried
- Grind the mixture after its dried and then package for usage or sale.
Chemical Requirements For Household Use
- Caustic soda – 2 milk tins
- Light soda ash – 1 milk tin
- Palm kernel oil – 6 milk tins
- Kaolin – 1/6 milk tin
- Sodium sulfate – 1/8 milk tin
- Hydrogen peroxide – 1/3 milk tin
- Ammonia solution – ½ milk tin
- Colour pigment
Read Also: How To Start A Secondary School In Nigeria
- Pour the caustic soda into one of the rubber bowls. Add 6 milk tins of water
- Stir thoroughly; cover and keep aside for 48 hours
- Pour the light soda, kaolin and sodium sulfate into the second bowl and add 4 milk tins of water. Stir thoroughly, cover it up and keep aside for 24 hours.
- After 48 hours, place the palm kernel oil on the fire, adding the coloring pigment. Allow heating.
- Heat properly; remove from the fire and allow to cool down. Pour into the bucket.
- Pour in the fermented caustic soda gradually while stirring the mixture with the mixing stick.
- Gradually add the fermented soda ash as you continue with the stirring
- Add the sulphonic acid as the stirring continues
- Also, add the hydrogen peroxide as the stirring continues
- Also, add the ammonia solution as you continue to stir
- Finally, add the perfume and stir thoroughly for about 5 minutes to allow proper blending of the chemicals
- Keep the mixture aside for about 5 hours to allow setting
- After about 5 hours, spread the soap in the sun to allow drying
- Pour the dried soap in the grater and grind properly and carefully
- Finally, package the product and your powdered detergent is ready