He started out as a skit jest and later turned into a singer. Now, he is turning into an activist using the one tool that has been constant in his career — music. He is Falz and he is a jewel.
Falz is a Nigerian human activist and lawyer. He was born in Lagos State, South-Westen Nigeria to renowned lawyers Femi and Funmi Falana. He completed his basic and secondary school education at St. Leo’s Catholic Primary School, Ikeja, and Olashore International School, Osun State. He is an alumnus of the University of Reading after graduating with an LLB honors degree in Law. He was called to the bar in 2012 after graduating from the Nigeria Law School, Abuja.
Falz started music as a hobby while in secondary school. He formed a music group with a friend called “The School Boys”. In 2009, while in high school, he released a compilation of some of his recordings as a mixtape titled Shakara: The Mixtape. In 2011, Falz released a single titled “Waz Up Guy”, then released “High Class” and “Currency”, which gained him grounds in the Nigerian music industry.
Read Also: Davido: Biography and net worth
On January 2, 2014, Falz was listed in tooXclusive’s “Artistes To Watch in 2014”. Falz released his début studio album titled Wazup Guy, which was critically acclaimed by music critics. He was nominated in the “Best Collaboration of The Year” category at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards for his chart-topping single “Marry Me”. On 31 January 2015, he released a single titled “Ello Bae”, which won him a nomination in the “Best Street Hop Artiste of The Year” category at The Headies 2015.
November 2015, he announced the release of his second studio album, titled Stories That Touch, which was released on 17 November. In 2016, he won “Best Actor in a Comedy Movie/Series” at the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards for his role as Segun in Funke Akindele’s TV series Jenifa’s Diary. In June of 2016, Falz was voted the winner of the “Viewer’s Choice Best New International Act” category at the 2016 BET Awards. On October 27, 2016, Falz collaborated with Simi to release Chemistry, a seven-track EP solely produced by Sess. Falz had previously worked with Simi on the singles “Jamb Question” and “Soldier”.
Awards and nominations
- 2014 Scream Awards Best New Act of The Year Himself Nominated
- 2015 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards Best Rap Act of The Year Nominated
- Best New Act to Watch Nominated
- Best Collaboration of The Year Falz for “Marry Me” Nominated
- The Headies 2015 Best Street Hop Artiste of The Year Falz for “Ello Bae” Nominated
- 2016 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards Best Actor in a Comedy Movie/Series Jenifa’s Diary Won
- 2016 BET Awards Viewer’s Choice Best New International Act Himself Won
- 2016 City People Entertainment Awards Album of the Year Stories That Touch Won
- 9th Nigeria Music Video Awards Best Afro Hip Hop Video “Karashika” Won
- 2016 Nigeria Entertainment Awards Best Music Video Nominated
- Album of the Year Stories that Touch Nominated
- WatsUp TV Africa Music Video Awards Best African New Comer Video Bahd Baddo Baddest Nominated
- Best African Hip Hop Video
light sleeper, heavy dreamer.